Special Program for Advanced and Slow Learners
Special attention is given to improve performance of slow as well as advanced learners by providing them extra coaching. Both learners are identified on the basis of result of first midterm test. Two subjects in which special coaching are needed are identified. Batches of slow as well as advanced learners are formed. A lecture plan for 8 – 10 lectures is prepared. For slow learners, 1 lecture per subject per week and for advanced learners 1 lecture per subject per 2 week is conducted.
Catering to Student Diversity
In order to check the effectiveness of teaching and learning as well as to evaluate the student’s performance, we use the below mentioned tools:
- Internal Assessments (Class Tests):
- Assignments / Tutorials
- Continues Assessment of Practical Work
- Assessment of activities such as in plant training, seminar, mini project and project
- Performance of student in University Examinations
- Attendance for theory and practical classes.
- CLASS TESTS: In each semester two or three class tests are conducted (which collectively cover almost its entire syllabus) to check the students’ understanding. This practice imparts a habit of regular studies. A result analysis is performed and on that basis and a retest is conducted for students who either fail or remain absent. After the end of each class test, attendance status and academic progress reports are submitted to the Head for further action.
- ASSIGNMENTS AND TUTORIALS: Assignments for each chapter are given to the students and checked regularly. Care is taken that students get a few thought provoking assignments. Understanding level of the student is judged by the faculty member and appropriate remarks are entered in the academic diary.
- CONTINUOUS ASSESSMENT: The term work/practical work is assessed regularly and continuously. The total term work generally consists of 25 marks. These marks are split into appropriate categories. The term work conducted on a day is assessed by the faculty on the same day next week and marks are assigned right in front of the student thereby maintaining transparency.
- ASSESSMENT OF ACTIVITIES: The assessment of project work is based on previously decided evaluation criteria. A rubric for the assessment of project work is prepared, included in the academic diary and filled by faculty. This ensures a proper and continuous evaluation of the progress of the project work. This method is very systematic. It eliminates any chances of marks given arbitrarily. These marks are shown to the students and their signature is taken. A seminar evaluation scheme is also prepared in the diary. It contains a rubric containing evaluation criteria, maximum allotted marks for each criterion and marks obtained by the student. A panel consisting of three faculty members evaluates the seminar. Each faculty fills separate rubric. The average of all three is added together which forms marks obtained by the student. A format of project report, mini project report, seminar report and training report is defined. Students are expected to present their report in this format. This maintains uniformity.
Assessing the learning and dealing with heterogeneous level of understanding
Obviously, there is not a uniform level of understanding among all the students. Some students have grasped the concepts faster than others and some may not have understood at all because of absence or other reasons. This is reflected in the conclusion of every assessment tool. To address this issue, we have formed special groups of advanced and slow learners and designed appropriate programs for them.
The slow learner students are identified on the basis of last year university result and a special program in the form of extra lectures is arranged to improve the performance in the respective subjects. Schedule for the extra lectures is prepared beforehand. The subjects on which this extra coaching is to be given are chosen by the students.
Student Study Circle is formed in many departments of the institute. In this circle, different groups of students for different subjects are formed. The students try to understand the given subject by discussing it among themselves. Also two to three subjects are selected on the basis of students demand and accordingly for these subjects extra coaching is carried out.
All these activities are monitored by Dean, Academics